Children’s Tylenol products recall
Here’s the listing of McNeil Labs products recalled by the Food and Drug Administration. McNeil Consumer Healthcare initiated this voluntary recall over the weekend because some of these products may not meet required quality standards. Products include Children’s Motrin, Benadryl, and Zyrec.
Obese kids more likely to be bullied
Boy or girl, black or white, rich or poor, good grades or bad…if a child is obese, he or she is more likely to become the victim of a bully.
A study that will be published in the May issue of Pediatrics found that obese children had higher odds of being bullied no matter their gender, race, family socioeconomic status, school demographic profile, or academic achievement. Not even strong social skills made a difference.
How to stop bullying?
The researchers say that schools must address bullying in schools and intervene if a child is being victimized. Pediatricians, family physicians, and other health care professionals can play a role, too. Obese children are often stigmatized; those caring for obese children should consider that bullying may affect a child’s well-being.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ website Stop Bulling Now says that many children, particularly boys and older children, hesitate to tell their parents that there’s a problem.
Possible warning signs that a child is being bullied
• Comes home with torn, damaged, or missing
pieces of clothing, books, or other belongings;
• Has unexplained cuts, bruises, and scratches;
• Has few, if any friends, with whom he or she
• Seems afraid of going to school, walking to and
from school, riding the school bus, or taking part
in organized activities with peers (such as clubs);
• Takes a long, “illogical” route when walking to or
• Has lost interest in school work or suddenly
begins to do poorly in school;
• Appears sad, moody, teary, or depressed when he
or she comes home;
• Complains frequently of headaches, stomachaches,
or other physical ailments;
• Has trouble sleeping or has frequent bad dreams;
• Experiences a loss of appetite; or
• Appears anxious and suffers from low self-esteem.